Things I won't miss at Google

Second in a series of "An update on David" retrospectives, looking back on the last 11 years at Google: "Things I won't miss at Google. "

(Don't worry, the next one is "Things I'll miss"). I don't know if these things exist outside of Google, because it's been 11 years since I've been outside of Google and a lot can happen in 11 years.

With apologies in advance to all the hardworking teams who worked on these things.

I won't miss having to build the world before building my code.

I won't miss "deprecated/not ready yet".

I won't miss "use Eclipse, no - use Intelli/J, no, use Eclipse, no, Intelli/J" etc

I won't miss infrastructure layers on top of infrastructure layers on top of infrastructure layers, a.k.a. "I just want to serve 5 TB".

I won't miss having to learn yet another obscure configuration language. BCL/GCL, Nickel, piccolo, pbtxt, oncall, etc.

I won't miss spooky magic at a distance, a.k.a. Guice, Dagger, Angular, etc.

I won't miss the whining about the (lack of a) holiday gift, or about the holiday party.

But in reality, I'll probably miss all the above things anyway...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHYYYY???

Then and now

Regrets, I've had a few